- ServSafe® is a food safety training program created by the industry for the industry. It is one of the industry’s strongest and most recognized educational programs and is administered by the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation.
- ServSafe® is recognized by more federal, state, and local health jurisdictions than any other food safety training program in the United States.
- ServSafe® is one of several programs approved by the Conference on Food Protection as meeting requirements of a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM).
- The person-in-charge is required to be a CFPM according to the 2017 FDA Model Food Code.
- ServSafe® training provides information that every foodservice professional must know about food hazards and proper food handling practices in order to keep food safe in an establishment.
Who should attend?
ServSafe® training is appropriate for all employees who work with food. At a minimum, all individuals who will serve as a person-in-charge needs to be a CFPM. To cover all times in operation, multiple employees will need to be certified.
Why have Certified Food Protection Managers?
- Demonstration of food safety knowledge and safe food handling practices
- Commitment of the organization to serving safe food
- Investment in staff development
- Marketing tool
* Group training can be customized to your operation
What should I expect on the day of the ServSafe® training?
- Participants receive a copy of the course book entitled A ServSafe® Manager 7th Edition Book based on the 2013 Food Code prior to the training.
- The ServSafe® program includes 8 hours of training. A 6 hour workshop covering these topics:
- How Foodborne Illnesses Occur
- Forms of Contamination
- Food Allergen Management
- Keeping Food Safe
- The Safe Food Handler
- The Flow of Food: Purchasing, Receiving, Storage, Preparation and Service
- Active Managerial Control
- Safe Facilities and Pest Management
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Administration of an examination (a maximum of 2 hours is allowed)
- All participants must successfully pass the exam in order to be certified by the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation
- Certification is valid for five years